Search This Blog

Let's Get Social!

mariannebjelke.com

 

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

#70 Roman Peaches in Honey-Cumin Sauce

I forgot to take a picture of the peaches before preparing them, so I did a quick search on Wikimedia Commons where I stumbled across this little slice of awesomeness!

It's entitled Capuchin squirrel monkey, two guinea pigs, a blue tit and an Amazon St. Vincent parrot with Peaches, Figs and Pears in a landscape, oil on canvas painting by Jakob Bogdany, c. 1710-20

Jakob Bogdani [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons


HOLY COW was this dish unexpectedly flavorful.  I mean, everyone loves peaches... even if you hate the fuzzy skin, the sweet fruit meats inside are just tart and juicy and delicious and appealing.*

Not to give the recipe away (because you really should pick up a copy of A Feast of Ice and Fire for yourself and support the authors...) but the ingredients include not only honey and cumin but vinegar. 

Whoa! What results from this bit of kitchen alchemy is not a dessert... I repeat... this is not a dessert.

This recipe goes into the arsenal.  For a quick and relatively easy way to WOW people, serve this as a side dish to roast Turkey or Chicken.

Would also complement pork loin, provided the pork is not prepared with strong spices.  For example, I wouldn't serve this with the lime-cumin pork roast (believe it or not) but I would serve this with breaded fried pork chops.

What's that?  I haven't share the pork-lime cumin recipe with you yet?  Hoooohooo!  I will have to add that one to the list!


* Ok, so Fine, I'm sure SOMEONE doesn't like peaches. Be a spoilsport.  See if I care.**
** (sniff) I care.

No comments:

Post a Comment