Search This Blog

Let's Get Social!

mariannebjelke.com

 

Friday, May 24, 2013

Painting: Ma'at v1







So I had the idea to combine two archetypes that resonate with me: the 1920's prohibition-defying flapper and the Egyptian goddess Ma'at.  Above we see the background tat I put in prior to the underpainting of Ma'at. 

20/2 Hindsight:  Mistake. 


Here she is with the dancer largely defined, and only a thin strip of underpainting beneath where one layer of feathers overlaps the other.  The thinking here was to let the hint of the sky behind her appear through her wings to lend some translucency.  However this approach did not have the desired effect.



So here is the finished product of this study.  She's a little more subdued than I'd like in this version. Colors are a bit flat / muddy. 
I've got a good idea of the changes I'd like to make (with eternal thanks to John Sumrow for his feedback and support).  This includes a full under painting, a different magnification, a darker background ("brooding"), and brighter colors of the goddess herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment