Search This Blog

Let's Get Social!

mariannebjelke.com

 

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Painting: Turneras de las Muertas p1


 One of my closest friends had mentioned on more than one occasion that she really wanted to commission someone to paint a family portrait, but with a catch - the whole family was to be done in the style of Dia de los Muertos figures.

Q an yours truly at the Muertas y Marigolds parade, 2012.
I thought this would be great fun to have as a topic for my journey of learning to paint.  And it was, thankfully... So my process was to first select the appropriate picture of each person.  There was no picture with them together that I wanted to convert, so I seleced one picture that best represented the individual's personality and made a composite.  Here are the originals










Having selected the model pics for ths family, the next step was to arrange them together in the underpainting:




And then finally, begin to sculpt their faces so I could get the beginnings of a resemblance.  It's really important to remember that it's ok that these figures don't look exactly right at this stage.




Continued tomorrow...


No comments:

Post a Comment