Search This Blog

Let's Get Social!

mariannebjelke.com

 

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Wine Cork Trivet

Some people say to me, Marianne.... 
I like to save all the corks from all those crazy bottles of wine I drink, 
but I just don't know what to DO with them!

Ok, no one actually says that to me.  *I* say that to me. 

 Turns out, Corks make GREAT trivets.  
You may have seen these make an appearance once or twice in previous posts.

 This was the first one I made.  I gathered the corks together into a round shape and measured the copper tubing to coil around it.  I then tightened the coil and soldered the ends as shown.  Each cork is loose within the coil an held in by pressure alone.  The copper band has patina'd [sic] nicely over the years, and the corks have never come loose.



This one is a bit larger made some years later.  I glued the corks together and held them in place with a copper foil tape. However, the foil tape did not hold up well to even light use, and the glue does not hold all of the corks as well as I hoped.  I added a thin velcro band as a temporary measure and then ended up keeping it as-is.  It works just fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment