Search This Blog

Let's Get Social!

mariannebjelke.com

 

Monday, June 10, 2013

Laundry Detergent

I couldn't find Arm & Hammer on this last grocery run, but Biz
detergent booster works just as well.


I make my own laundry soap.  I have for years.  It's one of the many wonderful things I can do with Mah Bucket!  I've been doing this for a few years now, and I wouldn't dream of going back to store bought.

You will need: A 5 gallon bucket (with lid to keep critters & kiddos out) Borax 1/2 cup Arm & Hammer Washing Soda 1 cup A bar of soap, grated 3 gallons of water.


I've been "splurging" and buying distilled water for this, but even so, I get laundry detergent at about 1.50 per gallon. My last batch I used soaps from a recent hotel stay.

 Shred the soap - I have a dedicated cheese grater for this. Dissolve it in about a quart of the water. You'll need to heat it on the stove but keep heat low - do not let it boil.




    Mix borax and washing soda powder. Crush out any clumps with a fork. Add a little water to it so moisten the mix. Let it sit a minute.

    Put all the water you have not used in steps 1 and 2 into the bucket.

    Add the wet borax/washing soda mix. Stir.

    Add the dissolved bar soap mix. Stir.





Cover and let set overnight. The next day, you will have a wonderful, goopy, slimy mess. I like to use a funnel to put the soap into the gallon containers from the water I used. I get my 4 year old to help me with this part because he loves it. You can also leave it in the bucket and use it straight from there (messy but no reason not to) or pick up dedicated Tupperware pitchers from a thrift store.

Put about 1/8 cup into each load of laundry, and Voila!



No comments:

Post a Comment