Search This Blog

Let's Get Social!

mariannebjelke.com

 

Saturday, January 5, 2013

#12 Cheese and Onion Pie



 I love Onions. I love Onions so much, I'm capitalizing the word Onions.













The only thing better than onions is Onions and bacon. Vidalia sweet white onions are a staple in my fridge. I'm not sure what made me choose yellow onions for this recipe. 

Occasionally I pick up a big purple onion, for some burgers or a kabob.  I don't remember the last time I bought yellow onions, but I guess the allure of the plastic red mesh bag was too much to resist. I'm odd that way.*


Currants w/ flour
Saffron w/ egg & cheese mixture

















When I was a little girl, I remember my little Italian Grandma, who hardly spoke any English, made an onion pie for us.  It melted in the mouth, sweet and buttery, and I've never tasted anything like it since. It's decades later, and no one in my family has been able to duplicate her recipe.

With this attempt, I can confidently say that we have still not replicated Grandma's onion pie, although I think the crust comes close. And that makes me happy :)

I found this to be very tasty, quite easy to make, and it seems suitable to tweaking, such as substituting spinach or broccoli florets for 1/3 of the onions, or using sharper cheeses.  If I were to make this again, I would use white onions only, and go a little easier on the thyme.

OH! I should also mention - I used Egg Beaters instead of eggs, just to lighten the high cholesterol load of this savory and filling dish.  It reheats nicely :)



* I'm odd in numerous glorious ways that should be celebrated, toasted and/or largely ignored. Someday, I hope to accumulate enough wealth that people refer to me as eccentric instead of weird. Until then, I just gotta be me... KaChaw!

No comments:

Post a Comment