Search This Blog

Let's Get Social!

mariannebjelke.com

 

Saturday, January 12, 2013

#16 Lemon Pastry Dough

Less than a month in to this venture, I have become super confident about my dough and pastry crust.  One might even say "I gots mad skillz, yo!"  I wouldn't.  But one might.  Just saying.

Zesty

Previously, I mentioned that I avoid zest in recipes.  I'm not usually a fan of zest, or rind, or citron and the like.  However, the zest provides the primary flavor and is in the title of this recipe, so I thought it best to just swallow my pride and zest the damn lemon.

This dough also calls for a small amount of vanilla extract.  Allow me to take up my position in my vanilla-scented pulpit and share the good word: Do Not Skimp On Your Vanilla Extract.  Like, never, not ever.  Amen.

There is no richer, more sublime scent than that of a fresh, juicy vanilla bean.  Not those sad shriveled dried up things in plastic test tubes for sale in some markets, but fresh picked and vacuum sealed.  (Check out www.sfherb.com for this and more!)

A high quality extract will capture the full essence of a high quality vanilla bean.  Just fork over the extra couple of bucks and join the ersatz elite group of people who feel smug in their choice of vanilla extract.  Seriously.  And if you use imitation vanilla, I... just...  just go in the other room.  I can't even look at you.

 Slow, deep breath

And there you have it.  Lemon Pastry Dough, molded and ready to set in the fridge in preparation for our next creation:  Blueberry Tarts.
 


All kidding aside, imitation vanilla can be dangerous.   
So remember, kids:  Cheap/Imitation Vanilla.  Not even once.

No comments:

Post a Comment