Search This Blog

Let's Get Social!

mariannebjelke.com

 

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

#27 Elizabethan Buns with Currants, Pine Nuts and Dried Apples



A few things about this recipe:

1. From the picture in A Feast of Ice and Fire I thought these would turn out bite-sized like Rugelach.  Nope, they are closer to a hot pocket than a little cookie.  The recipe yielded 13 stuffed buns each about the size of a racquetball.

2. The title says Dried Apples, but the recipe calls for a single fresh apple.  Ok. No biggie.  Actually, I had this recipe midway done before I realized I forgot the apples and the pine nuts.  Whoopsie!  It was early enough in the process to correct my mistake, thankfully.  I also changed the filling somewhat, I replacing a third of the currants with raisins and another third with dried chopped dates.What can I say?  I'm a rebel.



3. The title says Elizabethan, but the recipe calls for use of a food processor.  Hmm.  I don't have a food processor.  I don't want a food processor.  When crafting in the kitchen, I AM a food processor. So, I was able to make these just fine by hand. Much like the Elizabethans, I would imagine.


I am becoming a fan of using parchment paper instead of greasing a cookie sheet.  The cleanup is easier and there's no added fat to the recipe.  

1 comment: