Search This Blog

Let's Get Social!

mariannebjelke.com

 

Saturday, January 26, 2013

#25 Medieval Lemon Cakes



I started writing this entry, then went to the freezer to get a few Lemoncakes out to munch on later.  Just looking at this picture made me weak for a nibble.  Very nice.

So yes, Lemon Zest again. I think I have to admit defeat here, because all of the recipes that called for zest have been quite lovely. My distaste for zest came from growing up in Italian neighborhoods, where "zest" usually meant "candied chunks of citrus rind" like something you could dig out of a scary fruitcake. Use the finest grating option, though, I've been able to capture the flavor and essence without any of the texture that I dislike so. And there was much rejoicing. Except not by the lemons.
 

The recipe indicates that one should add more flour to keep the dough from being sticky.  I had the opposite problem.  After adding all the ingredients, I still had a dry, crumbly dough.  I resolved this by adding about 2 tablespoons of Lemonsweet, which I made on the same day.


Moral of the story: If life hands you lemons, eat the lemons.*

I did not put the icing on these for the picture.  I froze them to bring to a friend's house at a later date and will drizzle the icing on at that time.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment