Search This Blog

Let's Get Social!

mariannebjelke.com

 

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

And now for something completely different

There are about 70 recipes in A Feast of Ice and Fire. More, if you count both the Modern and Medieval versions. As you can see from the Recipe List link, I did not. So, I've been peppering my AFOIAF recipes with a few of my own, plus the occasional related musing. 

Today, I want to show you what I've been playing at when I'm not in the kitchen: learning to paint! This is my first piece with acrylics on canvas board.

Assembling my supplies.  Wine and cats are technically art supplies.  Look it up.
Day 1: My first attempt at the base.  I was not happy with the proportions.
 Day 2: Improving the proportions and continuing work on the base.  Additional shading on the face to define planes and shapes.

Day 3: The background is painted, continuing to shape the face.
Day 4: Color & shape.  I think I finally got the mouth right. 
Not 100% happy with the bridge of the nose yet, though.


So I will probably continue to tweak this, but I wanted to share.

I am very grateful to my friend John Sumrow (who's art is amazing) for sharing tips, tricks, and information before I even bought my first tube of acrylic.  I could not have done this without his help and expert guidance, and I'm looking forward to more.

Food again tomorrow.  Scout's honor.*

*I am not a scout.

No comments:

Post a Comment