Search This Blog

Let's Get Social!

mariannebjelke.com

 

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

#26 Onions in Gravy


This ranks high on my list of favorite recipes to date, and I'm not just limiting that to the A Feast of Ice and Fire book. If you enjoy French Onion soup, you will LOVE this recipe.

This recipe calls for 10oz of pearl onions.  Which hey - that's the size of the available bag for sale everywhere.  Wow, medieval people, that's some hella foresight.  *wink*

New Rule: If the recipe calls for
an optional splash of brandy,
the brandy is NOT optional.
I bought white and red pearl onions, thinking I would mix the two.  I opted to go only with the sweeter, less acidic onions.  In hindsight, a good call.

Peeling and cleaning  these was a tad more labor intensive than anticipated. If I were preparing this for a dinner party, I would suggest making it in advance.

I wonder if this recipe will translate well to using larger white onions, and serving over stale bread with melted gruyere as French Onion soup.  To keep Ye Olde History-ish Theme, we can call it Gaul Onion Soupe.  Yes, with an "e."

No comments:

Post a Comment